My parents have kept a garden for decades. I have tons of fond childhood memories watching the veggies grow and helping my grandma (who was a real farmer for years) pick hundreds of green beans, tomatoes and cucumbers. I spent endless summers eating BLTs and enjoying my all-time favorite snack: cucumbers with Italian dressing.
The fam graciously gave me several fresh-picked cucumbers and tomatoes when I visited this month, so I turned the combo into a summer salad. It makes a great lunch and it’s definitely much more sophisticated than my usual cucumber/dressing combo, so I wanted to share the recipe with you!
On a random note: Can we all agree that home-grown veggies taste much better than store-bought ones?
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Vinegar (I used a few tablespoons)
- Olive oil (I used a few tablespoons)
Mix tomatoes, cucumbers, garbanzo beans, basil and feta in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, vinegar and oil to your taste. Chill and enjoy!
Note: If you need more protein in the dish, add a tuna packet.